Baptism Policy for St. Margaret Mary Parish
Our Baptisms are a community celebration welcoming a person into our Catholic faith community. Baptism of infants and young children are celebrated at the weekend liturgy, either Saturday at the 5:00pm Mass or Sunday at 7:30am or 9:30am Masses. There are no baptisms scheduled during the Season of Advent and the Season of Lent. Registration for Baptism must be made two months prior to Baptism date. Please call the Parish Office at (920) 729-4560 to begin the registration process.
Requirements for Baptism:
1. Parent(s) must be a registered, practicing member of St. Margaret Mary parish and are required to participate in the baptism preparation class.
2. Parents are to choose two godparents for your child. According to the Canon Law of the Catholic Church, they are to meet the following criteria:
- To be one male and one female
- Be at least 16 years old.
- At least one godparent must be an active, practicing Catholic who has received the Sacrament of Confirmation.
- Must be living a life which befits the role to be undertaken.
- Not be under an imposed or declared canonical penalty.
- Not be the father or mother of the person to be baptized.
What is the role of Godparents? Godparents for Catholic Baptism are to assist in the faith development of the person being baptized. This is especially important in the event that the parents cannot or do not adequately raise their children in the faith. Godparents can also be helpful through their prayers and example even if the child's parents fulfill their own promise to raise the child in the faith. Therefore, the faith of the godparents is important in fulfilling the baptismal promise of being raised in the Catholic faith.
If your godparents are not registered members of St. Margaret Mary parish, they will need to fill out a Baptismal Sponsor Commitment form and return to the parish office 2 weeks before the scheduled baptism. (Please click on the title to access a printable copy)
3. Your baby's baptism is a time for celebration and joy. We want to help you plan and prepare for the baptism in the best possible way. Baptism preparation classes are held on the 2nd Tuesday of the month in the evenings at the church. Registration for classes is required by calling the Parish Office.
Baptism for Children of School Age, Young Adults and Adults
Individuals will receive separate instruction in Catholic faith before they choose to be baptized. The length of instruction varies according to the age of the one seeking baptism.
Parents of school age children and young adults, and adults please contact the Amy Bolle at (920) 729-4562 x112 or [email protected] for more information.